Dry skin occurs when the body is dehydrated and your skin becomes flaky and can even become itchy. which trust me, I know is quite uncomfortable.
I had never felt uncomfortable in my skin, till in the second trimester of my pregnancy for my daughter. Believe me, I could see how dry my skin had become and it was very itchy.
Being pregnant, there was a limitation on the types of products I could use.
This is what I recommend for dry and itchy skin relief:
- Drink plenty of water: Drinking enough water daily will hydrate your body from within and this will eventually have its effect on your skin. If you are like me and always forgets to drink water, then this could be a difficult task for you. I improved my water intake by drinking a glass of water when I wake up in the morning, drink a glass of water when I feel hungry, drink a glass of water before every meal (breakfast, lunch, dinner) and finally drink a glass of water before going to bed. Doing this will definitely make a difference on the amount of water your drink daily. To help me drink more water on the go, I bought this cute water bottle which I fill with water and add 2 slices of lemon when I go out.
- Exfoliate: There are many ways of exfoliating, so find the method that is most suitable for your skin. If you are new to exfoliation, start with the mild option which could be body scrubs. Buy a good body scrub and facial scrub to use to exfoliate. If you are a DIY person, you can also make up your own sugar body scrub at home for cheap.
- Shower with warm water: Avoid using extremely hot water, because this can leave your skin feeling dry afterward.
- Apply moisturizers on damp skin: Moisturizing your skin when it is still slightly wet will seal the moisture in. After having a shower lightly pat of the excess water and apply a good skin moisturizer.
- Home remedies: Try up some home remedies for skin care. Here are 3 good ones: 1) Massage milk into your skin, allow it to dry up for 30 mins then wash it off. 2) Soak for 15 minutes in sea salt water. Try rubbing some of the sea salt on your wet skin to exfoliate. 3) Apply aloe vera to your skin, as it contains acids that eat up dead skin cells.
- Be consistent: Consistency is the key to a successful skin care routine.
- Apply hydrocortisone if you also have itchy skin.
- Dead Sea salt
- Aloe vera gel
- Exfoliating scrub
- Skin Moisturisers
- Exfoliating brush
- Goat milk soap
- Rose water
- Spray bottle
- Water bottle